ON JULY 31, LETS TAKE FORSYTH COUNTY BACK FROM THE SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS AND THE GOOD OL' BOY NETWORK
THE INFORMATION ON THE NEXT PAGES IS DISTURBING BUT FACTUAL AND CAN BE VALIDATED BY REVIEW OF TAM'S VOTING HISTORY AND CAMPAIGN HISTORY!
Let's begin with what is on everybody's mind: The economy and wasteful spending:
• The incumbent says the county is in great shape financially, which is like Barack Obama saying "the private sector is doing fine.” Both are clearly incorrect;
• Forsyth County's debt has nearly tripled since the incumbent took office, from approximately $100 million in 2005 to about $300 million today;
• When SPLOST and LOST are added on to the county's millage rate, our citizens bear the third highest per capita tax burden in the 13-county Metro Atlanta region;
• In 2010, amid the worst recession in decades, Tam proposed one of the largest millage increases in county history (1.56 mils);
• In 2011, he supported providing lifetime retirement healthcare benefits to elected officials, a proposal that would have cost county taxpayers millions of dollars. Our thanks to Jim Boff, whose NO vote required a public hearing with the citizens who soundly rejected this proposal.
Now let's look at Tam's ties to Special Interest Groups and Good Old Boy Network
• Voted to purchase a $7.2 million site for a jail and court complex 13 months earlier the property was purchased for $3 million by one of Tam's contributors;
• In 2011, he voted to give $700,000 of taxpayer money to Children's Healthcare, a private company where one of his biggest fundraiser sits on the Board of Advisors;
• In 2011, he voted to award banking services to UCB for $50,000 a year rather than Sun Trust which offered the same services for free. Another Tam financial contributor and fundraiser was on the UCB Board;
• In 2012, he voted to give the City of Cumming $11.4 million of taxpayer money to pay for the city's water intake facility even though the county attorney said the county had no obligation to pay. The city should be considered a special interest group in this case because the city holds the lease on the incumbent's family restaurant, Tam's Backstage
How about the incumbent's leadership abilities?
• In a rare move, fellow commissioners stripped him of his chairmanship. Publicly they would only say they felt it was time for a new direction. Privately they said he isn't trustworthy;
• Leaders must lead by example. The incumbent has been the subject of more ethics complaints (5) than any commissioner in Forsyth County history. The most recent one was filed last month when he failed to disclose property he owns on his Financial Disclosure statement. This is the second time he has been charged with the same violation;
• The incumbent’s family leases the restaurant, Tam’s Backstage, from the city of Cumming, which creates a conflict of interest every time the city negotiates a contract with the county. He refused to recuse himself during the water contract negotiations and has refused to recuse himself from the LOST negotiations.
Tam is a career politician who has represented the City of Cumming, Special Interest Groups, developers and Good Old Boy Network well, and their campaign contributions show their gratitude!!
But he has failed to represent the homeowners in both District 2 and the rest of the county.
It's time to elect someone who will!
Blog has been viewed (2320) times.